When I started to introduce ads in my game I was a bit puzzled by which provider to use, windows phone is a pretty young platform and options were at that time (end august 2011) pretty limited for none US developer like me.
- There was Microsoft own solution (Pubcenter) which was available only to US developers.
- Google had released a "beta" sdk for AdMob
- And there was various other "minor" providers that looks good on paper but I was not able to find any user story about them.
- 1 during game (MS Pubcenter as I've seen on their forum that I should be able to receive my payment once the platform would be open to international developers, more on this later on)
- 2 on an unskippable 5 seconds screen after each game round, Smaato (http://www.smaato.com/) and Inneractive (http://inner-active.com/)
Let's try to see what's going on here :
- Smaato ecpm are crappy : 0.075 ??? seriously
- Inneractive ecpm are a bit better, but their sdk report 1/5 of displayed ads compared to other providers, I contacted them regarding the issue and they advised to use exclusively their SDK to solve the issue, that looked a little bit too magical to me (and risky considering time needed to revert this choice, although I can use ad rotator (http://wp7adrotator.codeplex.com/) to ease the process) .
- Pubcenter ecpm are not stellar but at least they are the best, even if I had no idea when I would be able to get my money.
In the end I kept only the pubcenter banner, removed the unskippable ad screen, and user started to be happy again.
Few month after this experience here is my opinion about those providers:
- Smaato will not let you earn much, but at least today they are the only ones from who I received money. Their sdk is pretty good and site is the best I tried so far, especially regarding analytics.
- Inneractive tools are easy to use, I was easily able to contact their support and they spent some time to help me solve my issues by chat, but I was disappointed by their answer to my displayed ads amounts issue.
- Pubcenter sdk is the best for sure, their site not so much (I need to use IE in 32 bits version in order to use it...). I finally succeded to setup my account in order to be paid at the end of november, as they were opening pubcenter to new countries including my. But I still have not received any money from them so far.... I heard many times that I had to be patient with microsoft (same thing for paid version of my app...)
Hope this will help few people out there.